Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Dead Land Journal June 28th, 2027

Found a dead dog today. I have seen a lot of dead animals. Nothing unusual about that I know, everything dies. No one around to remove the carcasses. Most of them I think have died from eating something they shouldn't have or disease.

This was different. The body was in the parking lot of the Hy-Vee at 23rd and Lees Summit. Right in front of the main doors in front of one of those little electric wheel chairs. The dog looked healthy enough at first, a big black Lab. Then I noticed that the chest and belly were sunken. A clean cut, starting just below the sternum and ending at the base of the tail. Using a stick to open the wound, I found that the entire chest and abdominal cavity were empty. Everything was gone, removed with almost surgical precision. There were stands of mucous all over the wound.

A bag of flour from the wheel chair's basket had been ripped open and scattered about. It had probably been protected from the rain by a plastic grocery bag. My first thought was that it had been torn open by the dog as it rummaged for food. But there were none of the dog's paw prints in the flour. It had already been dead when the flour bag was ripped open. There were prints though. Clusters of rubber ball prints all over.


It was like it wanted me to know it was there.

I decided to do my grocery shopping elsewhere.

Fortunately Dee had fallen asleep in the back seat of the Jeep. Emily was another matter. She was sitting in the front passenger seat trembling.


© 2009 R. Keith McBride

No comments:

Post a Comment